In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The root cap covers the root tip and secrets mucilage which facilitates the movement of the growing roots in the soil.
- It has also been suggested that it reduces soil mechanical impedance by means of its secretion of slimy mucilage and by the sloughing of border cells.
- They say that things are on the way out when you produce volumes of clear mucilage.
- The mucilage is probably secreted by this apical cell.
- Additional mucilage is secreted by rhizosphere microbes.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.