In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- George and the Dragon was played all over the country by bands of mummers, who would blacken their faces with soot and wear animal masks and ragged costumes - some morris dance groups echo these once-pagan traditions today.
- Bulgaria welcomed 2003 with a blend of the modern and the traditional, with revellers jamming open-air concerts and mummers parading to ward off evil spirits.
- The mummers wore oversized, wire-constructed costumes and carried little umbrellas as they mummed along.
- Since the Living History Society rekindled the mummers tradition some five years ago the youngsters involved have gone from strength to strength as well as raise funds for various charities.
- While the traditional roles are not always filled by the same mummers, they have their favourites.
- She told me about a time when the mummers were all getting together after they had been out for a while performing and collecting and they were having what was known as the mummers dance or ball.
- And in come the mummers, faces muffled and painted, outlandishly costumed in multicolored skirts, frock coats, long-johns, turned jackets, stuffed pants.
- You can hardly move for minstrels, mummers and madcaps: the rolling programme of ye olde entertainment includes music from the Singing Plague Victims and have-a-go heraldry for youngsters.
- Carol singing, Morris-men, mummers, community plays are just a few of the traditions under threat from what is seen as an arbitrary piece of legislation.
- The young Mummers have gained quite a reputation and they were most recently involved in teaching a group off young people from Derrynoose the mummers rhymes.
- On a happier note the young mummers from the village surprised one of their teachers by appearing at her wedding in Monaghan.
- Originally they were mummers, performing traditional plays, and they then became known as waits, who would tour the town every evening before Christmas.
actor o actriz especializado en la representación de obras teatrales de género folclórico-tradicional
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.