In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(art form)música femenino(lesson/festival/teacher) de músicashe's listening to some music — está escuchando música
- to make music — tocar música
- to set / put sth to music — ponerle música a algo
- music critic — crítico musical or de música
- music lover — melómano
- It will have designated classrooms for science, art and music and specially-equipped toilets.
- Expression of music through instrument or voice differs from culture to culture.
- I never thought I would perform professionally and I went to university to study music.
- There is plenty of available data to support why children should take music lessons.
- Ultimately she would like to branch out into designing CD covers, combining her love of music and art.
- Homework demands increase throughout the school years, and music lessons and clubs may need to be rescheduled.
- Ask any musician and they will tell you that music is about expression and conveying emotion.
- After losing his mother to cancer, he took to music to vent his emotions.
- As he came towards the end of his school career in 1920 he realised that he could not pursue both music and science.
- He combined his interests in music and literature with first class science.
- She thinks she might go on to study either music or maths at university.
- She started to play the clarinet and studied music at university in Wolverhampton.
- She planned to study music at university, but her family doctor advised her to do law instead and she took his advice.
- Undergoing a major life change prior to beginning music study as an adult also is common.
- He bemoans the shortage of trained music teachers and a paucity of school music lessons.
- It's a study of music, culture, society and young women in the nineties and it is written so clearly and accessibly.
- He then decided to take voice and music theory lessons with the same tutor I had many many years ago.
- The teachers knew that combining music and art would be very enticing to these students.
- We often think of music as expressing emotions, and research has backed this notion up.
- Some formal singing and music lessons paid off and she is firmly on the path to success.
2(written notes)partitura femeninomúsica femeninocan you read music? — ¿sabes leer música?
- before noun music book — libro de música
- An ability to read music is not required, but a strong spirit of commitment is heartily welcome.
- I have found that with focus I can read music with virtually no trouble at all.
- Unlike some methods, the student is taught to read music and practice rhythm from day one.
- If you're going to be a music critic, you need to know how to read music, don't you?
- Kim, whose dad used to be in a band, has been trying to find someone to fine-tune his skills and teach him to read music.
- Mahler wrote nothing but music and letters: no essay, memoir, treatise or manifesto.
- How envious I am of those who can read music and make musical instruments come alive.
- His computer held a program which let him write down music and print it out, and it also acted as a database for tunes.
- It was never a problem for him to learn difficult charts without even being able to read music.
- It has become like a musician being able to sight read music.
- His eldest son went to the Royal Academy of Music, even though he couldn't read music at the time - he just had a great ear for it.
- Auditions are quick and painless and an ability to read music is not essential.
- Participants do not need to be able to read music or to have sung with a choir before.
- Of course, many of the technicians knew perfectly well how to read music but they could not admit it.
- However, if you've never read music before, it still takes a bit of getting used to.
- People taking part don't need to be able to read music and don't have to play alone unless they want to.
- I'm of the personal opinion that anyone who writes a bit of music with six flat signs is just plain showing off.
- The choirmaster taught me how to read music and sing with discipline.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.