In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Netted melons, popularly called cantaloupes by Americans, are actually musk melons.
- Cantaloupe melons are also known as musk melons and are an excellent source of vitamin A and beta carotene.
- In a blender or a food processor purée musk melon along with ginger and mint leaves.
- I don't think we will plant watermelon again as it takes up quite a bit of room and we prefer many of the musk melons and would rather devote room to them.
- Water melons and musk melons not only have an alkalizing effect on the body but also provide the body with essential fluids that it needs for performing various tasks.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.