In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- And so we found an association between this opacity at the back of the lens and short-sightedness, or myopia.
- Apart from testing the eye, they supply booklets detailing eye care with particular reference to refractive errors such as myopia, hypermetropia and astigmatism.
- The Romans considered myopia a permanent defect that reduced the market value of a slave.
- The medical name for short-sightedness is myopia.
- Astigmatism may occur with myopia or hyperopia.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.