In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The Gorgon was a mythical creature who portrayed the darkest aspects of the feminine: revenge, hatred, lust for power, bitterness and self hatred.
- That night I found myself staring at a carved masterpiece that decorated the ceiling, with snarling beasts and mythical creatures.
- They represented deities, mythical creatures, imaginary beasts, and recognizable fauna imbued with symbolic meanings.
- Only subsequently did it go back to Europa, the mythical princess abducted by Zeus.
- I had always thought that the Centaur was a mythical beast, but obviously the Greek aristocracy know where to find them.
- What myth is being alluded to and what is the name of the mythical horse so raised?
- Even the country's national symbol - the dragon - is a mythical beast.
- One corner had the Chinese symbol for fire, the other something that looked like part of a mythical beast.
- All sorts of things have inspired names for performance cars over the years, from animals and winds to exotic locations, mythical beasts and motor racing personalities.
- Ivory statues of mythical beasts with emerald eyes lined the way.
- She was teased up to the age of 7 because she used to believe in monsters and mythical beasts.
- Incidentally, the ancients had another cause for being grateful to this mythical hero.
- I recognize that another current movie has done well by inventing a language for mythical beings, but is it really necessary that the vampires talk in vampirish?
- I would search for other mythical beasts like him.
- The school was named after a mythical creature in the hope it would appeal to youngsters at the school.
- Their entire surfaces were carved with mythical beasts and classic Viking patterns.
- Like the mythical phoenix, which arose in its own ashes, the ram was chosen as a natural symbol of resurrection because of its ability, when shorn, to replenish its stock of wool.
- In China, the unicorn is a symbol of perfect goodness - a mythical beast with a lifespan of a thousand years.
- Yet another use of a grotesque image can be seen in the carvings of two mythical beasts that perch on top of the great medieval cathedral of Notre Dame in Paris, France.
- According to one legend, a mythical hero named Bochica introduced culture and civilization to the people living around Bogotá.
2(not real)the mythical wisdom of old age — la supuesta sabiduría que da la vejez
- her mythical uncle — su imaginario tío
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.