In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Hold an enormous global competition every four years, encouraging rampant nationalism and sporting pride.
- Chinese nationalism and its self-centered pride can be compared to that of Germany.
- Playing with a sense of loyalty, commitment, nationalism and pride.
- And this is the time of the World Cup games when nationalism via sport is given pride of place before all else.
- Is that a core value for you, that idea of nationalism and national identity?
- Cultural nationalism is still a powerful force to be reckoned with.
- However, I also argue in detail that it has existed, and could only have come into existence, during the modern era of romantic nationalisms and nation-states.
- From the 1980s on, it gradually became an issue of nationalism and patriotic sentiment.
- Pride and nationalism are strong motivators that need to be managed diplomatically.
- And yet a social principle that goes beyond nationalism raises itself again and again.
- One view of white nationalism is that whites are allowed to display ethnic pride, like any other ethnicity.
- These authors have contributed to a growing Andean nationalism and pride.
- First, nationalism does provide a principle of legitimacy that underpins the modern state system.
- We have failed to instil in our people a sense of nationalism, of pride in belonging here.
- He intends to instill a sense of nationalism and pride in grooming young players for future representation.
- Is there an effort to whip up nationalism to divert attention from the social problems, poverty, unemployment?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.