In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- For many people thinking is a very esoteric concept and some people would see a conference about thinking as intellectual navel-gazing.
- Thankfully, though, I believe that the Scottish art world has wider horizons than such navel-gazing, self-pitying introspection.
- You could call this navel-gazing, or you could agree that national identity is a vague and powerful thing, and deserves the odd moment of contemplation.
- So now I can stop navel-gazing and get back to current events.
- All this postmodern self-referential ironic navel-gazing is getting a bit bizarre.
- Perhaps our playwrights should focus less on public navel-gazing and more on creating roles worthy of the host of immensely talented actors who so improbably bless our country.
- ‘That is one area where there is danger of introspection and navel-gazing,’ she says.
- Rather than indulging in what they regard as navel-gazing they intend to pursue a mindless pragmatism instead, regardless of what many of their members may think.
- But why on earth is such theological navel-gazing necessary to determine the future of two people whose devotion for each other has been tested time and time again?
- This is all tremendously inward-looking, navel-gazing stuff isn't it?
- Indeed, this kind of national navel-gazing smacks of the arrogance that drove a generation of egomaniacs to go trekking off to Katmandu to ‘find themselves’.
- But there will be nothing salutary about this failure if governments retreat from Europe into navel-gazing and narrow national agendas.
- A photographer with a job must look outside himself, escaping from the private navel-gazing of so much contemporary art.
- This amounts to five hundred pages of self-obsessed navel-gazing, interspersed with intense bouts of self-loathing and lame jokes.
- It's just been a constant round of self-obsessed navel-gazing here recently, so I thought that you might like me to return to some form of banality.
- Yes, sometimes it might seem like too much navel-gazing.
- I do want to move on from the last three days navel-gazing though.
- Instead the focus would shift, away from institutional navel-gazing - which turns off voters in their millions - and towards tangible outcomes.
- That question will prompt much navel-gazing when the theatre's first productions appear, but looking inwards is only one way to answer it.
- The whole business of writing about cyber-culture seems vain and navel-gazing to me.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.