In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(residential area)barrio masculino(school/policeman) del barrio(school/policeman) del vecindarioneighborhood watch or (US also) patrol — vigilancia de una calle, barrio etc a cargo de sus propios habitantes
- As well, family units sit within a neighbourhood and wider community of other families that identify with a common cause, that of a decent life with those we love.
- At the same time gay communities were forming in neighborhoods in the large cities with a burgeoning culture of bars, organizations, and newspapers.
- These towns, like neighborhoods in large cities, may be homogeneous; however, the states are not.
- Books were distributed in communities and neighbourhoods, and to family members and friends.
- Congregations who welcome and affirm persons with special needs help set an expectation of acceptance within the neighborhood and community.
- Different classes of people have long sorted themselves into neighborhoods within a city or region.
- These extend to minor league stadiums as well, which shows off some of the non-glamorous locations of other parks, such as those within neighborhoods or other cities.
- The Chinese nationals were arrested in subsequent police raids in a wealthy neighborhood of Quezon City near the drug laboratory, it said.
- Spanish pueblos, from hamlets to large cities, and many neighborhoods within population centers, all have patron saints each of whose days occasions a public festival, or fiesta.
- Day-to-day life is, for the most part, life lived within a particular neighbourhood, set of neighbourhoods, city, or urban region.
- Most neighborhoods in cities and towns across the country have their own assembly.
- The schemes aim to find new ways of managing the settlement of migrants in the city, helping faith groups to build relationships within their neighbourhoods and finding ways for community arts to improve residents' lives.
- Though it is rarely discussed, few argue that the poor and oppressed have the political capital necessary to compete for the federal funding and social programs that often go to wealthier cities and neighbourhoods.
- Could you talk a bit about the role of community arts in the community - the neighborhood or the city as a whole?
- The new independents movement is alive and kicking in small towns and in the neighborhoods of big cities, where storefronts are joining the battle.
- This is because they are within wealthy neighbourhoods and do not feature among the government's priority areas in need of grant aid and social care support.
- On the other hand, Northern Ireland is inhabited by only about 1.7 million people, distributed among close-knit urban neighborhoods and rural communities.
- The individuals communicate only within their neighborhood.
- The network also works at educating the public through visiting schools, canvassing neighbourhoods, attending community events, and more.
- Their role will be complementary to police officers, but the main aim is to offer a reassurance to the public and tackle the kind of anti-social behaviour that is dragging down so many neighbourhoods, towns and cities.
- Social interactions based on neighbourhood have been deteriorating for decades - particularly in highly transitory urban areas.
- Both sets of protagonists are torn between the American Dream of fame and fortune and the more comfortable pull to stay true to your station in life and neighbourhood.
3(vicinity)zona femeninoin the neighborhood — en / por la zona
- in the neighborhood of $50,000 — cerca de / alrededor de 50.000 dólares
- Ottawa has shown it has considered the question about the neighbourhood surrounding Iraq no more than it has given any thought to the question inside Iraq.
- The Dashwood women continue looking for an affordable house in the neighborhood surrounding Norland.
- The neighbourhood surrounding the Medical Academy was the biggest surprise as transactions there were few.
- Wait a while and a map of west London will open up showing the precise location of the shot and all the other photos taken in the surrounding neighbourhood.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.