In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(person)nepalés masculinonepalesa femenino
- Young Nepalis often express their contempt for their ‘obligations,’ and chafe against the compulsion to adhere strictly to traditional ways.
- This leads some commentators to suggest the movement wants what Nepalis call a ‘soft landing’, where they negotiate their way back into the mainstream with their profile high.
- Some newspaper reports speculated the government's hasty backpedalling was intended to protect the reputation of the monarchy as many Nepalis rejected the notion the crown prince could have suddenly turned into a mass murderer.
- Much of the trading between the lowland Nepalis and Tibetan peoples of the mountains takes place at markets such as the Saturday market in Namche Bazaar.
- Two Indian nationals and one Nepali have been arrested here for duping people of millions of rupees after promising to send them on jobs in the US and Britain, the police said today.
- The inspiration for this project is Mahabir Pun, a native Nepali determined to bring better education and technology to his fellow villagers.
- Despite ethnic unrest, Nepalis have a strong sense of national identity and pride.
- Also evident in this quote is a tension that urban Nepalis increasingly feel, a struggle between the competing claims of Nepali, English, and often other languages, to be the appropriate language for a given social context.
- Although Indonesians, Nepalis, Pakistanis, and Thais are prominent in the SAR, the most significant minority group consists of Filipino domestic helpers.
- Since 1996, approximately 12,000 Nepalis have died in a brutal conflict between rebels of the Communist Party of Nepal and government security forces.
- I am full of admiration and respect for the Nepalis.
- Although youth culture in the Kathmandu Valley is ‘Western-influenced,’ young Nepalis are not trying to recreate a Western society.
- Rather, we examine ways that young Nepalis, driven by longings to forge new kinds of selves and new social patterns in Nepal, explore and create new means of self-expression at the crossroads of several musics and languages.
- In the darkness of the cold truck, against the agonizing body ache, I weep silently - a Nepali let loose in the lowlands of England.
- More than a 1,000 Nepalis hit the streets and rioted in Kathmandu, throwing rocks and attempting to set a mosque on fire. Police intervened to protect the mosque.
- As the Newar father quoted above suggests, urban Nepalis find themselves in something of a tug-of-war to determine the appropriate language to use in any given circumstance.
- With Nepalis living under a state of emergency, civil rights suspended and dissent against the king banned after he seized power, they are reading some bizarre things in their newspapers.
- Yet while these foreigners were busy observing Nepalis in their natural environment, Nepalis were also observing Western tourists, developing their own impressions of Western culture, and listening to Western pop.
- The mountain, known as Sagarmatha to the Nepalis and Chomolungma to the Tibetans, is considered ‘The palace of the Five Sisters of Long Life’ by Buddhists.
- The five parties have brought thousands of Nepalis on to the streets in sometimes violent rallies to press the king to either appoint them as an interim government or reinstate the parliament he dissolved in May last year.
- He shares Dyer's flair for languages, especially Nepali and Baluchi.
- Language: Nepali is spoken in the city, apart from local dialects.
- They speak mainly Nepali but also understand Hindi, Bengali and English.
- ‘I can speak Nepali, you know, in addition to my native Sikkimese,’ he told me.
- Language is not a problem for this zealous youth: he is good at Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, Hindi, Gujarati and has a smattering of Nepali.
- Besides, the Gurkhas of the Darjeeling district of West Bengal and Sikkim wanted Nepali to be constitutionally recognised as a ‘principal language’.
- Since the creation of a national educational program in Nepal during the 1950s, the majority of Nepalese, 58.3 percent, speak Nepali.
- A translation into Nepali was made and printed by the Center for Women and Development in Kathmandu, Nepal.
- Children address their elders by using the honorific form of Nepali, while adults speak to children using more familiar language.
- Some of the important films in Urdu, Hindi, Tamil, Telugu, Bangla, Nepali, Sinhalese etc., will be shown in this festival.
- The crux of the problem is that the government's full proposal has not been translated into languages such as Urdu, Nepali, Hindi and Tagalog.
- It is also alleged that Thimphu instituted discriminatory policies aimed at the Nepali-speakers, making it compulsory to wear the national dress of the northern people and banning the teaching of Nepali at schools.
- Other languages spoken in Bhutan include Nepali, Assamese, and Gurung.
- He listens with a beatific half smile to his visitors in English and responds in rapid fire Nepali, which the secretary in his ministry does not bother to translate.
- He is a linguist and fluently speaks in Urdu, Persian, Tamil, Nepali, Bengali, Hindi and Assamese, besides English and Khasi languages.
- Kuensel, the national newspaper, is published in Dzongkha, English, and Nepali, both in print and on the Internet.
- Starting in 1983, a band called the Influence pioneered Nepali pop by singing thoroughly Western pop music in Nepali rather than English.
- Their rich cultural tradition includes a language quite distinct from Nepali, the language of the majority.
- He also charged Bhutanese of Nepalese ethnicity will be unable to make comments on the contents of the constitution as it is only available in the English and Dzonkha languages, and not in Nepali.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.