In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The bird was returned to its nest box on the hotel ledge.
- In addition, the material in the nest box might provide extra insulation.
- We'd seen a female wood duck flush from the area near the nest box when taking out the trash and there has been a pair of wood ducks feeding under the feeders, so naturally we assumed a wood duck was laying eggs in the box.
- The presence of a nest box or interaction with another bird, a human, or even a toy that the bird bonds with may also stimulate egg production.
- Each pair of owls was housed separately in an outside aviary where a nest box was available.
- If there is a risk of aggression the nest box should only be examined when the adult birds are outside in the aviary.
- Once all of the eggs have hatched, both parents provision the brood and roost outside of the nest box at night.
- In April 2001, the vocalizations of five females roosting in a nest box in the recreation area in Fort 8 in Hoboken were recorded on minidisc.
- In return, each leaseholder receives a certificate allocating a specific box, an invitation to visit their nest box with the reserve warden and a report in the autumn to say how well the birds fared over the nesting season.
- A nest box is important for breeding purposes as these birds, like most parrots, are cavity nesters.
- If you can attach a structure to the walls of your residence, and are not more than 30 feet off the ground, you may want to attach a nest box, which may become home for house sparrows, chickadees, or barn swallows.
- There are all kinds of interesting stories compiled by researchers like an account of a young screech owl found dead in the nest box.
- The last time I checked the nest box, there were bluebird chicks inside so I knew that meant the wrens hadn't damaged the bluebird eggs.
- The banders grab the chicks and then quickly clean up all the bones and feathers around the nest box.
- With her forced immobility in the nest box, the female conceivably has less use for much of her functional tissues-such as muscles-and might subsequently reduce their size, function, or both.
- All dead nestlings found within or outside the nest box were subtracted from brood size at day 13 to determine the actual number fledged.
- It doesn't matter what the item is, whether it's a sundial or a nest box, it has to arrive on time.
- First of all, these birds that ‘carry the sky on their backs’ like open areas, say at least 50 feet all around the nest box, that are mowed, as they catch various insects on the ground.
- Complete the main frame by adding the two handle braces, the plywood floor, the roost bar and the nest box.
- Parrotlets were captured in mist nets at roosting sites and in the vicinity of nest boxes, or were trapped in the nest box while feeding young.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.