In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- A neuron generates an electrical impulse, causing the cell to release its neurotransmitters.
- Excitatory neurotransmitters transfer an impulse to the next cell.
- Nerve impulses are transmitted at synapses by the release of chemicals called neurotransmitters.
- Cnidarians contain chemical synapses and release neurotransmitters, including biogenic amines and peptides.
- Postsynaptic proteins receive the neurotransmitters released by presynaptic proteins.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.