In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- To have a concert in your front room was more impressive than having widescreen digital TV with Nicam stereo sound.
- Some models will come with their own speakers, allowing you to listen to your favourite programs, in Nicam stereo.
- And if she doubted what she was hearing then the people all around them with their widescreen TV's and Nicam surround sound probably dismissed the racket too.
- Pictures are usually small and jerky and sound nowhere near Nicam stereo quality.
- I have a number of friends who rush out to buy the latest tweaks to existing technology, such as upgrading their TV from mono to Nicam stereo, then widescreen, followed by a quick change to a digital widescreen flat screen!
- near-instantaneous companding system
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.