In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Bacall nonetheless seemed and still seems to have been made for the screen.
- Like many a Costello lyric, it's ambitious and complicated but potent nonetheless.
- This is as hard to believe as the first images we saw were yesterday, but nonetheless that is what has happened.
- But a close family source said they nonetheless feared they would lose their croft.
- He nonetheless managed to open the season with three straight league wins.
- He stepped forward, his arms at his sides, but I was nonetheless within his personal space.
- Elephant is not a total success, therefore, but it is a good album nonetheless.
- In some ways they were objects, too scary to be people, but to be adored nonetheless.
- The outcome of the Butler Report may have been predictable but it's remarkable nonetheless.
- That was already pretty obvious over here, but nonetheless the announcement has been made.
- Smoke from the fire streamed up to a hole in the roof: but the air was filled with woodsmoke nonetheless.
- They can nonetheless be taken to indicate a distinctive turn in recent art.
- These are not all of the colleges' own making but they will have to respond nonetheless.
- This gossip was denied by the government but nonetheless it influenced some to vote.
- I shed a few angry tears after that, but still went to the writing test nonetheless.
- The combat and movement can be clumsy, but the game haunts you nonetheless.
- Some of his advice may seem simplistic in the extreme but it is important nonetheless.
- It reminds me of another frighteningly different culture which nonetheless fascinates us.
- Much like the film it alludes to, this is an acquired taste, but worth taking a chance on, nonetheless.
- We should not overstate the risk to Scotland, which remains small, but it is there nonetheless.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.