In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- It is lined with non-slip diamond-cut neoprene for stability.
- The underside of the panelled floor can be painted any colour, and the glass is sandblasted for a raised texture and given an acid polish for a shiny non-slip surface.
- Wear low-heeled shoes with non-slip soles and check your house for slippery surfaces that might cause you to trip or fall.
- Shoes or boots should have non-slip soles and walking aids should be fitted with rubber feet to ensure an adequate grip.
- And the necessary non-slip flooring was not fitted in others.
- I prefer to use planks that have a ribbed, non-slip profile.
- On your feet you should wear warm, dry, flat, non-slip shoes or boots.
- Children are actively encouraged to get in and make a splash: the granite's surface has been given a non-slip texture.
- Footwear must fit securely and have rubber non-slip soles.
- The council said the new ramp at the front of the hall will have a non-slip surface added to it so will not appeal to skateboarders.
- The stock and forearm are made of a grainy, black-plastic material with excellent non-slip characteristics.
- Mr King said black non-slip strips had been placed along the corridor.
- If you use regular hangers instead, you might want to consider those with non-slip rubber to prevent the slacks from slipping off.
- The rubberized, non-slip nosepiece was easy to bend to fit.
- Did he lose his footing as a result of inadequate provision of a non-slip surface around the pool and was that the cause of his injury?
- Ergonomic, non-slip rubber handgrips make for easy holding.
- The floors are concrete covered with non-slip rubber mats sealed together to prevent water and debris from getting underneath.
- As well as the existing handrails, the slopes are also being laid with a non-slip surface.
- Paths should be wide, welcoming and non-slip when wet.
- It provides a non-slip surface and is always there if needed.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.