In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Furthermore, the similarities between the Nordic countries make Sweden and Finland reasonable countries to compare to Norway.
- Compared with other Nordic countries, Finland has very low rates for theft and narcotics offenses but an above average rate for assault.
- Finland is coming out from the shadows of its Nordic neighbours, Norway and Sweden, and is creating an innovative and hi-tech image for itself.
- Swap, a quirky fusion group, blend the very best of Nordic and Celtic music.
- The five Nordic countries of Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway, and Sweden together constitute Scandinavia.
- Outside the black plastic tunnels the sun is bright, and the breeze is bracing and Nordic.
- Not surprisingly, the Nordic region's vast forestlands form the backdrop for much environmental history writing.
- Despite the effects of the environment, contemporary folk art is considerably more widespread and visible in Finland than, for example, other Nordic countries.
- Growth has been especially strong in the UK and the Nordic region.
- The works were produced by fifty young Scandinavian designers, and represent the cutting edge in Nordic aesthetics.
- During a period of two years, we have had six different board games published in the Nordic region and won a Game of the Year Award.
- I suppose it only makes sense that all the coolest electro-pop has been coming from our Nordic neighbours in Scandinavia.
- The Nordic party systems all display a nonsocialist side, split between agrarian, liberal, conservative, and Christian populist parties.
- Iceland isn't the only place to revel in Nordic madness.
- For several years he studied Indian music and a special quality of his music is the incorporation of both Nordic themes and East Indian rhythms.
- This annual celebration of all things Nordic will run until Sunday, February 23, and features a vast programme of events across the city.
- This deal is its most significant move outside of the Nordic region.
- Denmark is geographically the southernmost of the Nordic nations, which also include Finland, Iceland, Norway, and Sweden.
- The Nordic working culture is of highly educated staff, of staff councils and youth programmes, of appointing women into senior positions and of long-term planning.
- A fifth Nordic country, Iceland, is not included.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.