In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Yesterday Yorkshire flood victims still struggling to return to normality welcomed the move, but said it was too late.
- Perhaps some kind of semblance of normality can now return.
- The election is viewed as a first step toward its return to stability, normalcy and democracy, according to the officials.
- Farmers too want a return to normality in the countryside because many of us are also very dependent on tourism for a large part of our income.
- There can be periods of high political tension but then normalcy returns.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.