In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1ramillete de flores masculino
- The procession stopped outside the church, where the prisoners received a nosegay of flowers, and stopped at a tavern or two later along the route so they could enjoy a final pint of ale.
- A uniformed man just inside the entry handed them each a small nosegay of flowers from a large wicker basket next to him.
- Cut fresh flowers from the garden and make up little nosegays for each table.
- The bouquet itself was a nosegay of violets with a pink rose in the center.
- Floral artists form perfect nosegays with bundled stems wrapped and tied in raffia ribbons.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.