1.1(idea)idea femeninoshe hadn't the slightest notion of how to behave in public — no tenía ni la menor idea de cómo comportarse en público
- I have some notion of mathematics — tengo algunas nociones de matemáticas
- I had a notion that I'd been there before — tenía la sensación de que había estado allí antes
- Words like ‘family’ are also ambiguous, because people will have different notions of who makes up their family.
- At present, complexity theory is more a set of concepts, notions and observations than a full-fledged theory.
- In the beginning, an ordinary person absorbs ideas and notions about different things from the surroundings and environment in which he lives.
- Present-day belief in these medieval notions is incredible.
- Our examination of the particular concepts by topic suggests differing notions about what is meant by core concept.
- That is what Sir Owen Dixon set as the test - ordinary notions of the concept of income.
- All of these various versions of blogging suggest different notions regarding community.
- Privacy was viewed as a vague enough concept even before notions of emotional damage became incorporated into its meaning.
- Disparate sides may well use the same word or concept to evaluate and characterise beliefs and ideas, yet load them with different notions and values.
- Chinese people seem to have more affection for, and put more belief in, Western notions and practices.
- The second was that according to old-fashioned notions of gender stereotyping, a man should be the dominant partner in a marriage.
- We see the world from different perspectives and have different notions of what constitutes fairness.
- Though the concept of beauty is timeless, notions of what constitutes the perfect physical form have changed over time.
- We need a hierarchical rather than an egalitarian conception of aesthetic notions.
- The above notions constitute the elementary concepts of category theory.
- There are different notions of what public opinion is.
- He could not be bothered with spiritual notions or metaphysical concepts.
- As a whole, the show provided insight into the formative years of artists now known for wholly different notions of what painting might be.
- In mental test theory these notions are treated mathematically.
- Reductionism and the criterial theory lean heavily on the notion of analytic or conceptual truth.
1.2informal (inclination)to have a notion to + inf — tener ganas de + inf
- I've a notion to tell him just what I think — tengo ganas de decirle exactamente lo que pienso
- I had vague notions of asking Sir Gregory about the comments that had passed between him and the Earl of Salisbury.
- New Age materialism seemed an ugly form of self-serving notions to justify greed and the refusal of compassion.
- Don't jump to conclusions, she chided herself, personally embarrassed by her outrageous notions.
- Conceptual analysis is carried out in the philosophy of sexuality in order to clarify the fundamental notions of sexual desire and sexual activity.
- Eagleton says that opinion, appetite or inclinations are notions of individual desire that become a person's subjectivity.
- I find it sad that our notions of fun are equated with destruction and violence, and not creation and sustenance.
- And this desire transcends all notions of fear for one's own safety.
- We'd talk about the nature of souls, notions of individuals and societies, and the function of psychology.
- As social psychologists we have an inherent interest in all notions which might inform practices related to social and family responsibility.
- But ‘the social gap in notions of fun may have more to do with age than gender.’
- Few notions strike fear in the hearts of an audience as much as the ‘concept album.’
3.1(in sewing)artículos de mercería masculino
- Store small notions, such as buttons, pins and snaps, in empty film containers, pill bottles or baby food jars.
- Keep an eye out for sales on threads and other notions while you're there.
- Also be sure to get such notions as thread, zippers, buttons, and interfacing.
- Crafters will often use a backpack to transport fabric and other sewing notions to a guild meeting, leaving both hands free to carry the sewing machine.
- On the ground floor there has been for twenty-five years a little store where toys and notions and stationery are sold.
3.2UShousehold/gift/office notions — artículos para el hogar/de regalo/de oficina masculino