In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(idea)idea femeninoshe hadn't the slightest notion of how to behave in public — no tenía ni la menor idea de cómo comportarse en público
- I have some notion of mathematics — tengo algunas nociones de matemáticas
- I had a notion that I'd been there before — tenía la sensación de que había estado allí antes
- Words like ‘family’ are also ambiguous, because people will have different notions of who makes up their family.
- At present, complexity theory is more a set of concepts, notions and observations than a full-fledged theory.
- In the beginning, an ordinary person absorbs ideas and notions about different things from the surroundings and environment in which he lives.
- Present-day belief in these medieval notions is incredible.
- Our examination of the particular concepts by topic suggests differing notions about what is meant by core concept.
- That is what Sir Owen Dixon set as the test - ordinary notions of the concept of income.
- All of these various versions of blogging suggest different notions regarding community.
- Privacy was viewed as a vague enough concept even before notions of emotional damage became incorporated into its meaning.
- Disparate sides may well use the same word or concept to evaluate and characterise beliefs and ideas, yet load them with different notions and values.
- Chinese people seem to have more affection for, and put more belief in, Western notions and practices.
- The second was that according to old-fashioned notions of gender stereotyping, a man should be the dominant partner in a marriage.
- We see the world from different perspectives and have different notions of what constitutes fairness.
- Though the concept of beauty is timeless, notions of what constitutes the perfect physical form have changed over time.
- We need a hierarchical rather than an egalitarian conception of aesthetic notions.
- The above notions constitute the elementary concepts of category theory.
- There are different notions of what public opinion is.
- He could not be bothered with spiritual notions or metaphysical concepts.
- As a whole, the show provided insight into the formative years of artists now known for wholly different notions of what painting might be.
- In mental test theory these notions are treated mathematically.
- Reductionism and the criterial theory lean heavily on the notion of analytic or conceptual truth.
1.2informal (inclination)to have a notion to + inf — tener ganas de + inf
- I've a notion to tell him just what I think — tengo ganas de decirle exactamente lo que pienso
- I had vague notions of asking Sir Gregory about the comments that had passed between him and the Earl of Salisbury.
- New Age materialism seemed an ugly form of self-serving notions to justify greed and the refusal of compassion.
- Don't jump to conclusions, she chided herself, personally embarrassed by her outrageous notions.
- Conceptual analysis is carried out in the philosophy of sexuality in order to clarify the fundamental notions of sexual desire and sexual activity.
- Eagleton says that opinion, appetite or inclinations are notions of individual desire that become a person's subjectivity.
- I find it sad that our notions of fun are equated with destruction and violence, and not creation and sustenance.
- And this desire transcends all notions of fear for one's own safety.
- We'd talk about the nature of souls, notions of individuals and societies, and the function of psychology.
- As social psychologists we have an inherent interest in all notions which might inform practices related to social and family responsibility.
- But ‘the social gap in notions of fun may have more to do with age than gender.’
- Few notions strike fear in the hearts of an audience as much as the ‘concept album.’
3.1(in sewing)artículos de mercería masculino
- Store small notions, such as buttons, pins and snaps, in empty film containers, pill bottles or baby food jars.
- Keep an eye out for sales on threads and other notions while you're there.
- Also be sure to get such notions as thread, zippers, buttons, and interfacing.
- Crafters will often use a backpack to transport fabric and other sewing notions to a guild meeting, leaving both hands free to carry the sewing machine.
- On the ground floor there has been for twenty-five years a little store where toys and notions and stationery are sold.
3.2UShousehold/gift/office notions — artículos para el hogar/de regalo/de oficina masculino
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.