In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The special, a curried fennel and potato stew with a tomato base, was nourishing, but was served with overcooked rice - given the potatoes in the stew, it would have been enough by itself.
- Not only did the goat provide the family with more nourishing food but the surplus milk was sold to make a small income, which allowed the children to attend school.
- This is a wonderfully nourishing cake to take on a winter tramp or to a working bee.
- The nourishing soup had been freshly made with broccoli, spinach, celery and carrots, all naturally full of fibre.
- Expect to cook plenty of nourishing stews for cosy nights at home.
- Seaweeds, of course, are a food with a long history of medicinal use, both as a nourishing food tonic and as a medicine.
- Plenty of rest and hot, nourishing food is what he needs now.
- Wilton, in particular, is a scream as gentle-voiced Mum, who delays the group's flight while she makes nourishing sandwiches for everyone.
- Even in today's societies there are many different weaning practices dependent upon history, religious taboos, and the availability of nourishing foods suitable for infants.
- We could start by making sure that everyone in the world has access to free education, basic health care, sufficient nourishing food and potable water.
- This energy emanated from a medium traditionally associated with nourishing food and nurturing femininity.
- It's damn cold and we are all in need of delicious and nourishing food.
- You need not take a home-study course in animal nutrition to feed your pug a balanced, nourishing diet.
- What chance do they stand of growing up with a taste for wholesome, nourishing food when their mothers cannot be bothered to feed them correctly?
- However, most people with drug and alcohol dependency have access to a nourishing diet and are lucky enough not to need to go on the street to feed their habit.
- The 160 technicians put in eight-hour shifts and the employees - from the plant director down - eat hearty, nourishing meals from the same, heavily subsidized menu.
- It was conceded, though, that the week's bed rest, the nourishing soups, the strong teas and the mulled Guinness were important factors in getting rid of the coughs of yesteryear.
- As the children filled their forks with nourishing food, bodily complications were discussed.
- Make sure your child eats healthy nourishing food as opposed to junk food.
- She put her longevity down in part to the plain food she had eaten over the years - home grown vegetables, very little tinned food, and nourishing desserts, like steamed puddings.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.