In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1matrícula femeninoplaca femenino América Latinapatente femenino Cono Surchapa femenino Río de la Plata
- The fake number plate has a GB sign on it while the car has a different road tax to Mrs Onifade's own Renault Clio.
- From next month police will be able to crosscheck automatically a number plate with a list of vehicles without a valid MOT certificate.
- Photos don't quite do it justice: it looks better both in real life and with a number plate visually breaking it up.
- The driver of the wrecker summoned to remove the damaged cars was also charged for not displaying his number plate.
- The eye of the cop is primarily on the number plate of the vehicle.
- It had four doors, windshield wipers, mirrors, exhaust pipe and a number plate.
- There is no sign of the taxi, only its number plate has been found.
- The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds asked motorists to record the number of dead insects on their number plate on a journey in June.
- An example is the release for the boot lid which is recessed above the rear number plate.
- The only sign of Johnson's spending was a people-carrier bearing a personalised number plate in the driveway outside the house.
- Why not get a personalised number plate straight from the DVLA?
- It reads a portion of your number plate, and reads it again, works out your speed, and if there is slow traffic it shows up on their system.
- They would use lasers to record the gap between two vehicles over a given distance, their speeds and the number plate of the offending driver.
- Mr Clarke says the tolling system could take the form of registering a disc inside the car or reading the number plate.
- His front number plate was ripped off in the collision.
- Officers checked his number plate with the DVLA and then issued the fine. Now he must fork out almost half of his weekly pension to pay.
- You will also need an illuminated number plate at the rear of the unit.
- As pointed out by a friend of mine, they do not have a number plate at the front, so it would appear that the cameras are there merely to catch the unsuspecting car driver.
- Other drivers who have registered can key the number plate into their phone.
- When you go past the next sign your number plate is read again.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.