In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Rapidly increasing rates of obesity have disguised relatively small changes in weight.
- New statistics on childhood obesity prove this is caused by a decline in outside play and walking to school.
- Unless we wake up to the problems caused by obesity, we're going to see soaring rates of this condition.
- Combine poor diet with lack of exercise and you have a population with real problems of obesity and ill health.
- Earlier it was seen as a sign of health and wealth, now obesity is a sign of poor health and poverty.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.