In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Ayn Rand wrote a few books about objectivism, the total and relentless pursuit of perfection and the unwavering commitment needed to manage this.
- To his credit, Powell's objectivism prevented him from essentializing workers and scapegoating the labor force as the cause of the blue mold.
- That is to say, scientism, or what Husserl calls objectivism, overlooks the phenomenon of the life-world as the enabling condition for scientific practice.
- The same evasive logic allowed Heidegger, another critic of scientific objectivism and cultural relativism with no time for ethical dilemmas, famously to insist that ‘only a God will save us now.’
- She emphasized objectivism as a practical philosophy - one that is ‘concerned with the universal principles which must guide human action in achieving happiness here on earth.’
- Haraway replies that it rejects both objectivism and relativism for the ways they let knowers escape responsibility for the representations they construct.
- Distressingly these encouraged narrow-minded ideas based upon sexual objectivism are just as prevalent in animation…
- ‘I like the objectivism of the non-arranged and natural photography rather than someone posing for me,’ Todorova said.
- She explained that the main strengths of her documentaries are objectivism and a personal point of view displayed in an unbiased and colourful way.
- By ‘admitting into itself literal, illusionless ruins of empirical reality,’ Cubism inaugurates modernism as objectivism and fragmentariness.
- And then I realized the problem with libertarianism, like objectivism and liberalism, was that it required accepting a romanticized view of human nature.
- Now symbolism, of course, is more in contrast with objectivism.
- Rand once described objectivism as ‘a philosophy for living on earth.’
- The 20th century advances of Western medicine are due in large part to the cultivation of objectivism and the positivist philosophies that embrace the scientific method, a foundation of conventional medical training.
- These methods challenge the objectivism prized in conventional enquiry.
- These positions are frequently referred to respectively as objectivism and constructionism.
- How would you evaluate the media in terms of technique, objectivism and censorship during the war?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.