In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He scanned the images and radio data from telescopes at solar observatories in Australia, Puerto Rico, Massachusetts, Italy, and New Mexico.
- Accompanied by several other astronomers he established a temporary observatory on Pikes Peak, the summit of which is over 14,000 feet above sea level.
- Such observatories allow astronomers to observe the universe in ways not possible from the surface of Earth, usually because of interference from our planet's atmosphere.
- The summit of dormant volcano Mauna Kea is home to the world's largest astronomical observatory and most powerful telescope.
- If tracks of totality were so considerate as to pass across well-established observatories, then astronomers' lives would be simpler.
- Set up in 1923, the historical Bosscha Observatory is the closest observatory in the world to the equator.
- There are also plans to open a national observatory with an automated telescope dedicated solely to high-school observers.
- Because we are familiar with major astronomical observatories being sited atop remote mountain peaks, it seems peculiar that Nantucket has so many connections with astronomy.
- Britain's foremost radio astronomy observatory at Jodrell Bank celebrates its 45th anniversary this month.
- The mine was chosen as the observatory's location so that the rock would shield the observatory from cosmic radiation.
- In 1806 he accepted the post of assistant at the Lilienthal Observatory, a private observatory near Bremen.
- Among the phenomena that permanent observatories can study are climate variability and volcanic activity.
- He now had more time than before to devote to his study of astronomy, having an observatory in the rooms in which he lived in one of the towers in the town's fortifications.
- Then it instantaneously e-mails the news to astronomers, observatories and automated telescopes around the world.
- The same outburst was also observed by the Hubble Space Telescope and several ground observatories.
- During National Astronomy Week, astronomical societies will be opening private observatories and rigging up telescopes to let members of the public join in the Mars experience.
- Because Earth's atmosphere is transparent to optical and infrared radiation and to radio waves, these types of radiation can be studied from ground-based observatories.
- Astronomical observatories use Archimedean domes to cover their telescopes.
- These space and Moon-based astronomical observatories will be the successors to the Hubble Space Telescope, which has been used to discover planets in distant solar systems.
- The privately funded SETI Institute uses radio telescopes owned by observatories around the world to sweep the sky for signals broadcast by advanced civilizations.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.