In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Treatment of elephantiasis nostras aims at prevention of recurrent infection and edema.
- Immediate clinical manifestations of acute lung injury include pneumothorax, pulmonary oedema, and air embolism.
- The pathogenesis may involve edema and inflammation secondary to the impacted stone in the cystic duct.
- Patients may develop blepharitis and present with ptosis secondary to edema and inflammation.
- The result is an accumulation of fluid in the tissue - also called oedema.
- This reverses the gradient, causing a decrease in tissue and organ edema and associated morbidity.
- The bandages substitute for the elasticity lost by tissues engorged with edema.
- This is not easy, as too little fluid will cause hypoperfusion whereas too much will lead to oedema that will cause tissue hypoxia.
- Seven children died from illness or injury without oedema, three in the antioxidant supplement group and four in the placebo group.
- Diuretics are essential for the symptomatic management of patients with lung congestion or peripheral oedema from fluid overload.
- Hyponatremia in the presence of edema indicates increased total body sodium and water.
- Fine crackles are heard with pulmonary edema, pneumonia and pulmonary fibrosis.
- But of course cough is a common symptom of pulmonary oedema or coexistent bronchitis, so you should also consider these causes.
- Mild edema of the medullary cavity was present in most of these cases.
- Muscles waste away; oedema and accumulation of fluid in body cavities follows depletion of plasma proteins.
- Increased hypoxia in local tissues, marked oedema of the toes, or development of venous hypertension may be involved.
- For example, in a healthy person without oedema, the kidneys deal with surplus fluid in the body by disposing of it in the urine.
- The risk of moderate vision loss caused by diabetic macular edema was reduced by 50 percent.
- In compensated heart failure, symptoms are stable, and many overt features of fluid retention and pulmonary oedema are absent.
- The disposable canister serves as a collection depot for edema fluid that is suctioned from the wound tissue.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.