In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1predoff color(unwell)to feel off color — sentirse indispuesto
- to look off color — tener mala cara
- I'm a bit off color — no estoy / no me encuentro muy bien
- If she feels a little off-colour then it's because the baby didn't like what we had for dinner.
- I'm feeling off-colour and grumpy today.
- This morning I have a sore throat and feel decidedly off-colour.
- She booked an appointment with her doctor because she was feeling off-colour.
- I've been off-colour and not-blogging, apologies; here's a bunch of TV things quickly that bear further investigation.
- To make matters worse, I'd started to develop what I thought was a bit of a cold by Saturday evening so I was feeling decidedly grumpy and off-colour.
- He's still off-colour today, but submits to a meeting anyway.
- I had been off-colour for several weeks and off food for several days prior to this and did not realise the effects of wine on an empty stomach.
- Since I was very young, whenever I'm off-colour and feverish I have the following recurring vision as I wander confusedly in the no-man's land between consciousness and sleep.
- If you are feeling a bit sluggish and off-colour it may be that your digestive system is out of balance.
- Any player who was off-colour or who complained of fatigue was immediately stood down from training.
- Doctors should be made to think more carefully before handing out certificates willy-nilly just because someone looks a bit off-colour or says they do not feel so good.
2predoff color(risqué, unwell)(remarks/joke) subido de tono
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.