In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The room bore unmistakable traces of them - a framed mathematical journal offprint, a stereo cluttered with worn, sleeveless records.
- We sent offprints, made phone calls, and met many summers and some winters.
- They signed up for two copies of the book and ordered an additional two hundred offprints of the lithographic view.
- I found that I have a few other offprints of earlier articles of mine, sitting there uselessly on the shelf.
- A similar bound collection of offprints can be found in the University of Toronto Archives.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.