In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1de entre bastidoresde fuera del escenario
- There is also something sterile about a show that is all men and not even an offstage woman.
- Gracious and soft-spoken in interviews, Cave's offstage persona is the opposite of his electrifying stage self.
- Even when she was not present on the stage, the chilling scream, which came from offstage, reminded the audience of her.
- Stars of the musical theatre (of which I am one) channel their offstage misery into on stage triumph.
- And worse, he resolves his crisis mostly offstage during the opening scenes of the second act.
- But this is a play where you feel the really big issue is the one that is happening offstage.
- Stella goes offstage onto the porch as Blanche comes onstage out of the bathroom, and sees Stanley alone.
- You can talk to someone on set from offstage or cue an actor who forgot his lines.
- It is also the third current play in which an offstage dog is loudly audible.
- He stood silently in the middle of the stage, unable to speak or even to walk offstage.
- There is little offstage divide, as the actors are mostly in view and chat with the audience during the interval, and before and after the show.
- These two characters have, one feels, an offstage life during which they rely on each other's support for the next vicissitude that is to befall them.
- I only wish he would not throw away the line about whose yacht is anchored just offstage.
- They are a beautiful couple on stage as well as offstage.
- And what about the glimpses we're provided of the actors' offstage lives?
- Her offstage screech sends shivers down the spine long before she actually appears, and when she appears she devastates.
- Verna keeps busy offstage as a film producer, her credits including the 2003 hit Saved By The Belles.
- For the dream sequences, the four hang from bars offstage and balance pillows under their spotlit heads so they seem to be horizontal.
- In other words, if you could overcome it onstage, couldn't you overcome it offstage?
- He says their offstage relationship bears an uncanny similarity to their roles in the play.
1fuera del escenario
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.