In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Now oft-times this doesn't mean they are wrong.
- This remarkably varied community of insects, birds, amphibians and animals all thrive in a beautiful but oft-times harsh environment.
- This is notable in the oft-times casual way they dress.
- The average salt water man can't do it, and oft-times he will fail to reach out to distant feeding fish.
- What it showed was a typical Saturday night, and the dominant theme was drink and its oft-times dire consequences.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.