In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- In the meanwhile, Gramma put up a piece of oilcloth to keep the bugs out and let a little light in.
- She might get a piece of material to make curtains for the kitchen window and some oilcloth for the table.
- It was brown and dirty, wrapped in oilcloth and tied with a dirty string.
- The sides are draped with oilcloth so that no one can look in.
- He undid the layers of oilcloth and canvas, relieved that they had kept the twigs and shaved wood dry.
- A short while later, Judd came out again holding an object wrapped in oilcloth.
- Once again, the small oilcloth covered parcel caught her eye and she checked its contents.
- My inventor sat at the kitchen table and sketched his idea on to a piece of oilcloth.
- From tents and dresses and beach towels to oilcloth and pencil cases and dog beds, Kidston makes a mind-boggling assortment of products.
- David leaned over and reached into his pocket, and came out holding a small flat bundle wrapped in oilcloth.
- She shoved it into his hand, a thick parcel of grubby rags and oilcloth.
- When the lid is down, the pine becomes evident, although tack holes indicate that the writing surface was originally covered with oilcloth, hiding the lesser wood.
- In the other were chairs and wooden tables covered in a kind of oilcloth.
- There was oilcloth on the floor, which was old and torn.
- Look for oilcloth online or at specialty fabric shops.
- Lilac wallpaper and oilcloth on pantry shelves say he was married, and scattered toys suggest children.
- Nine ounces of oilcloth is always a sign of durable cotton.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.