In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1¡bueno!¡okey! América Latina coloquial¡vale! España coloquial¡vaya (pues)! América Central¡va pues! América Central
1coloquial(all right)how are you? — OK, thanks — ¿qué tal estás? — bien, gracias
- the job's OK, but … — el trabajo no está mal, pero …
- will it be OK if I bring a friend? — ¿te importa si traigo a un amigo?
- if you don't want to come, that's quite OK — si no quieres venir, no hay ningún problema
- it's OK with me — yo no tengo ningún inconveniente
- do you like her? — she's OK — ¿te gusta? — no me disgusta
- are we OK for time? — ¿vamos bien de tiempo?
- I have a very very long - or maybe a number of long-ish - posts in draft, and a few reasonably okay photos to edit.
- Sometimes he's okay and sometimes he can't breathe.
- Once he was satisfied that she was okay he allowed her to go upstairs to bed.
- The films are okay, with most of the facts presented by people in tight Hawaiian shirts, laughing a lot.
- The transfer is okay considering what this film is.
- I commend Ms. Cleage for being honest about her desires and realizing that it's okay to consider her own needs.
- Their acting is okay but okay acting combined with so-so story make for some forgettable viewing moments.
- We would be saying it's okay to treat human beings like commodities, and it's okay to elevate economics above respect for human dignity.
- I mean, no one was around to tell me if it was okay or not.
- We've done an okay job so far, but there are a lot of things we want to do better.
- My sticky toffee pudding with butterscotch sauce and vanilla ice cream was okay.
- It's okay to accuse your opponents of dishonesty when they routinely present quotations out of context.
- The extra chapter is okay, but perhaps doesn't add substantially to the game's longevity.
- He was doing an okay job, until he missed one swing.
- Most even find that it's okay to go further than that, with permission from everyone concerned of course.
- I don't like to iron or sweep; scrubbing is fine and vacuuming is okay.
- We made sure they were okay and then sent them home for the afternoon.
- For me, it's a physical need to see to it that you're okay.
- Cukor once made great woman's pictures, here he makes an okay one.
- I have a strong preference to avoid checking any luggage, so carry-on appropriate items are okay; things that have to be checked, not so good.
- Would that, like the potential discovery of WMD, make the war okay?
- I didn't really know if I really would be okay or not.
- I was old enough to take care of myself, the life insurance made sure that I was fine to look after the house and I had a decent job and I was okay.
- But only to reassure you that she is physically okay.
- Its okay we just need something until it leaves here.
- Those of a postmodern persuasion might argue that it's okay to present a fragmented field in a fragmented way.
- I'd make sure my family and friends were okay and maybe start an orphanage in India.
- ‘Adrienne,’ I called, though I didn't exactly care too much whether she was okay or not.
- It is okay to retire from your job… but don't retire from your life.
- I don't own any board games, but I'm quite looking forward to owning this one, particularly because I see it as my ticket to a semi okay Christmas.
- ‘I said any date would be okay when his schedule permits,’ Koizumi told reporters after the meeting with Primakov.
- ‘I'm glad you're okay,’ she said in a respectful way that made Erica unsure if she actually meant it.
- In fairness, Casey probably did an okay job of the song, but I'd fallen asleep ten seconds into it.
- Its okay because your house is so big and your parents are never home so that its almost like you live outside of home anyway.
- Daniel jumped out just long enough to make sure I was okay and then got right back into the fight.
- I take very seriously making sure everyone is okay and where they are supposed to be, keeping my ‘chickens’ all in order.
- Attracting birds with tape recordings is okay by me in moderation.
- For example, some substances are okay out-of-competition but illegal during competition.
- Other callers are just calling in to say they are okay this year or thanking the volunteers there for their support in the past.
- If the talent test ended with presentation of a gift, it was okay.
- She seemed to be okay physically as far as I could tell, but she frowned when she saw me - something was up, obviously.
- I hope I am okay this evening so I can go to Millhampton.
- The point in syntax, more or less, is that some word orders are okay, and some aren't.
- To my complete and utter amazement, I felt okay, not just physically but emotionally as well.
- There's some okay political humour, with stabs at global warming, CNN and hydro prices.
- Nothing really, I just wanted to see if you girls are okay or not after what you have just witnessed.
- Even though the job scenario has been okay, you just know something was bound to go wrong somewhere.
- Briggs suffered minor concussion in that game but could be okay this week.
- She proposes outlawing unreasonable force by removing the provision in the law saying reasonable force is okay.
- We will have to get new carpets, curtains and tanks - but as long as the reptiles are okay I don't mind.
- Inherently I know that I haven't done anything wrong (nor has she), and that it's okay for me to respect my cousin's right to privacy.
- The overall picture quality is okay, but varies considerably from segment to segment depending upon the source material and year that the game footage was gathered from.
- For him the problem in Bulgaria is the widespread mentality that says it's okay to steal as long as you're not caught.
- Obviously the militants feel that hurting kids is okay because of the job their daddy or mummy does.
- We used to think if we could help somebody get a job they would be okay.
- What I usually don't write about is what I find okay, mediocre, adequate, generic.
- His defense was okay, but consider the competition.
- The plot was okay, and reasonably well staged and acted.
- One day you can release a product which you think is okay and then it can just take off.
- The air con has been frosty, the food okay, the coffee a revelation, and the people pretty friendly.
2argot(acceptable)champagne is always an OK drink — el champán siempre queda bien
- he's really an OK guy — es un tío legal
- I'm glad the repair job went okay but I wonder if all this detailed photography of the shuttle is a too detailed.
- They seemed to take the news okay, but Shaune noticed that their relationship changed and that they began watching his every move.
- We've done okay this season and have tried to cover up our weaknesses as much as we can.
- She was a little bad at directions and I still wondered sometimes if she could get back to the cottage okay on her own.
- ‘I am hitting the ball okay on the practice range,’ he claimed at Royal Lytham last July.
- I went out there for a look and liked the place okay.
- Anyway I want to get to know Ivee, she's okay cute.
- ‘The caretaker role I've now got is a bit different but I'm there to do a job and we've started off okay,’ he said.
- A train arrived at Lawler station around noon, and my duty entitled me to make sure that everyone got off the train okay.
- By and large it seems to be going okay and according to the returning officer we are on course and all the papers are due to go out this week.
- Just because we did okay last year doesn't mean we cannot fail this time round.
- All this on a job that pays me okay, but really doesn't give me enough to live lavishly.
- She reads the news okay, but her interaction with guests is very wooden and her interviewing technique is weak.
- Immediate media reaction was Cheney strong; Edwards presented okay, but showed his inexperience.
- A person who seems to be doing okay one day may the next day suddenly take a turn for the worse.
- Am working on lit review, its a funny job, but going okay.
- It looked okay I guess but I'm not a great fan of fishnets.
- I moved in a few feet, the catcher moved out a few feet and I made the throw okay.
- The fan told Leon that he could do a story on him and possibly help get his name out in the sports world to let people know that he is doing okay and still working hard.
1darle el visto bueno ahave you OKed it with Saunders? — ¿Saunders le ha dado el visto bueno?
- Weinberger okayed the facility anyway, in part to boost defense spending in New York.
- He says the job was done well and that the board okayed the deal.
- The plan, which recently resurfaced after being dropped, still has to be okayed by county traffic chiefs.
- If we had sent in the prices that were actually up on the board in the bank, they'd have been okayed, and customers would have paid those as they did.
- Brooklawn officials have okayed the leasing of their public school properties to corporations that want to put up ads, thus letting them buy access to a captive audience of impressionable youngsters.
- She said: ‘I had okayed it with Mr Hollins before I took the days off and he just said take as long as I needed, but then I got this text message.’
- Thanks so much to Justin for looking over the two chapters from Chris' point of view and okaying them.
- If the Senate approves the exact legislation okayed by the House - down to every single word and comma - the legislation would then be sent to the President.
- Congress okayed the fuel oil, but refused to approve the two commercial nuclear plants.
- Meanwhile, both members of last year's Democratic ticket publicly said that they'd been wrong in okaying the war.
- For radio the ad must include a statement in which candidates identify themselves and say they okayed the message.
- Media reports in Assam suggest that the Bodo leadership has okayed the proposals.
- Write, call, or ask in person why Congress okayed this pollution of the people's parks.
- Technically this bill required no Presidential approval, and it was okayed by the Governor.
- Flickenschild has also okayed the idea of paying child allowances to all families irrespective of their incomes.
- Anything she did was okayed by the establishment.
- Those who had the information stalled over okaying its release.
- Equal-pay legislation is being scrapped and a thermal power plant was okayed and then put on hold.
- Gramm okayed it with me Sunday, that if anything happened to him you'd come to me.
- The State Cabinet had okayed the recommendation,’ he replied.
1visto bueno masculinothey finally gave us the OK — finalmente nos dieron el visto bueno
- There are projects now where Bahamian politicians have given a verbal okay, so the investors have started.
- There was another meeting with about 12 people there, and they gave it the okay.
- The single's success forced Berry Gordy to give the okay for an album to be produced.
- I expect we will be able to say more sometime in the next 6 months, and when I get the okay from Activision, I'll certainly let you know!
- Kali commanded after getting the okay from everyone that they were strapped in.
- A judge has given the okay for police to detain the bombing suspect for another three days.
- The French voters are incensed, yes, but it seems to me that they're largely incensed because we didn't get a French okay.
- ‘Hey, Matt, I got an okay on using the boat for the 4th,’ I called through the door.
- A misconception is that if they give the okay for organ and tissue retrieval, they won't be able to have an open casket or a funeral at all.
- The Charlotte Bobcats got the official okay from the Boston Celtics to interview Chris Wallace for their GM job.
- Who could blame the studio head that gave the okay?
- They don't need an okay from the Ministry to proceed with any project.
- I'll tell my parents once you get the okay from your mom so they can send in your reservation.
- Somebody in a powerful position actually issued the okay on this lovely ad and handed over an exorbitant amount of money to let it grace the cover of a phone book with a major circulation.
- My grandpa has given the okay for your visit here whenever you can.
- I waited for a moment before finally getting the okay from Miss Pross to start singing.
- After getting the okay from everybody, she pressed the green button; and the portal opened up in the wall.
- If you're over 35, a new exerciser, just coming back from a layoff or you have a history of heart disease in your family, you should get an okay from your doctor before starting.
- The family made an application for a grant and, on April 16, 2002, they were given the okay for the work.
- Those policies are anathema to the slot scammer, so most will not go the route of getting the okay for taking credit cards.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.