In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The World Cup series was drawing to a close, and the Olympic trials were looming.
- Once society accepts it, the Olympic committee is going to have to deal with it.
- If you win an Olympic Gold medal you become a hugely marketable item, and will earn vast sums of money.
- It will be the icing on the cake if the Indian shooters can deliver an Olympic medal.
- Did the Olympic sprinter lose in the final because of the intense atmosphere or because he or she had an off day?
- They don't have to be an Olympic rower or an Olympic athlete to be able to do the sport.
- It got to such a pitch that all other Olympic rivals paled into insignificance.
- The Greek reaction to four years of innuendo and controversy was to ask him to light the Olympic flame.
- At the same time they were initiated into the extraordinary world of the Olympic family.
- It will be one of their last chances to see who is in shape and in contention for the Olympic title in Athens.
- Two years after winning Olympic gold he was plummeting down the rankings like a stone.
- A few years ago I was sailing in an international event which was an Olympic qualifier.
- Taekwondo is a Korean branch of the martial arts and is a full Olympic sport.
- We might not produce many Olympic gold athletes but we're world champion shoppers.
- Nobody in the game can move iron like he can and he trains at a gymnasium used by Olympic class weightlifters.
- She did student stuff, put on weight, and was asked if she had really ever been an Olympic diver.
- If only I had done that a year and a half ago, I may still have had my Olympic bronze.
- It has also raised the prospects of a wide open Olympic basketball tournament in Athens.
- It was impossible to be knocked out of the Olympic ice hockey competition at this stage.
- These tribulations did nothing to lessen the pressure on the four to come home with Olympic gold.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.