In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Alpha, rho, tau, sigma, omega, Ash went over the letters he saw in his mind while Lari just stared, apparently in her own little world.
- Centered on the crest is the white carnation, with the Chi to the left and the Omega to the right of the flower.
- After all, her father was a maths teacher who knew his alpha from his omega.
- What letter is before omega in the Greek alphabet?
- Ah, yes, the round letters are quite small; yes, the omicrons and omegas seem to hover, there, in the middle of the line.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.