In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1firemen were quickly on the spot — los bomberos se presentaron sin demora en el lugar del siniestro
- and now a report from our woman on the spot — y ahora un informe de nuestra enviada especial (desde el lugar de los hechos)
- he had to decide on the spot — tuvo que decidir en ese mismo momento
- she was fired on the spot — la despidieron en el acto
- they were killed on the spot — los mataron allí mismo
- on-the-spot fine — multa que se paga en el acto
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.