In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- His copy was plated in nickel, with a long smoke-like design of inlaid onyx along the right side of the barrel, and a carved wooden grip.
- I'm no expert, but it doesn't look like onyx - rather it has that lava glass look that I equate with obsidian.
- Most of them were common gems - rubies, diamonds, onyxes, sapphires, emeralds, topazes, and so on, and were used to supplement Elements and Talents.
- Her pale green suit is adorned by an ornate marcasite and onyx broach.
- The possibilities were endless: rubies, emeralds, sapphires and black onyx.
- Onyx, especially black onyx is said to help overcome hearing problems and to promote concentration and self-control.
- In the center, there are either jade, pearl or onyx pieces depending on the value.
- I should stock up one jade, rubies, onyx, malachite, and diamonds.
- The onyx and diamond one belonged to my grandmother and the star sapphire was my father's, but the others are all from Swallow.
- He took her hand in his own, his thumb turning the carnelian and onyx signet ring she wore.
- The hilt was made of a stone that looked a lot like onyx mixed with diamond.
- It included three stones - diamonds, sapphires, and onyx, set into a gold band.
- Both were of ivory and the brush was set with pink shell, onyx and jade.
- The council sat silently while he passed out an onyx and an opal to every one.
- A good substitute for the apache tear is black tourmaline and black onyx.
- Morning light streams in through a thinly sliced piece of Indian onyx set in the east wall, in the unrendered concrete carapace.
- Both pool and onyx are on a travertine block that the architect calls ‘an altar where burial occurs’.
- Its hilt was decorated with beryl and onyx, adorned with gold trimmings.
- Objects are also carved out of onyx, jade, and other types of stone.
- The bathroom also had a gold tub and faucets studded with turquoises, while the staircase was made of onyx.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.