In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1abiertode planta abierta(invariable adjective) open-plan
- It comprises a large open-plan room with a basement, kitchenette and storage facilities underneath.
- A new report has called for traditional police stations to be bulldozed in favour of friendlier, open-plan offices.
- There is a utility room off the open-plan area, with a door to the rear garden.
- One of the beautiful things about this open-plan restaurant is that you can watch the cooks prepare your food as you enjoy the surroundings.
- Sometimes, whoever you are, whatever you do, you end up with the same amount of space as everyone else - particularly in open-plan offices.
- Mother currently has 90 staff and everyone works in the same open-plan office, a former fire station in east London.
- Despite the increasing trend towards open-plan office environments, the owners and manager of small businesses want an office of their own.
- The five-storey building features open-plan office spaces, designed to promote teamwork and good communication.
- But if you put that same floorspace in a modern, open-plan office with bar coding and so-on, you could get massive throughput.
- Whenever obliged to walk around the large, open-plan office, I clasp my hands firmly behind my back, rather in the manner of the Duke of Edinburgh.
- I was struck by the atmosphere in our open-plan offices as the news began to break this afternoon.
- The large open-plan office certainly has an egalitarian feel.
- If everyone was like me, open-plan offices would be a really bad idea, eh?
- As for what my colleagues in the open-plan office thought, I can only wonder.
- A venture capitalist is funnelling cash into the operation, so Mike and Luce have rented a groovy open-plan office and filled it with techy types.
- In the 1960s, open-plan offices were introduced, though not without some controversy.
- This is situated to the rear of the property, with an informal dining area being open-plan between the kitchen and the family room.
- The main living area is a double-height, open-plan room divided into four structural bays.
- The kitchen, breakfast room and family room are open-plan and have modern units with granite worktops and a breakfast counter.
- Durable and seamlessly stylish, glossy resin looks beautiful in open-plan areas and warehouse conversions.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.