In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1ópticooptical character reader — lectora óptica de caracteres femenino
- optical character recognition — reconocimiento óptico de caracteres
- Strobes and pyrotechnics nestle amongst shadow puppetry, while a vast array of other optical and audio effects assist in the delivery of this fast-moving tale.
- The same optical illusion is in the second act.
- The new system should help remove the optical trickery that occurs when assistant referees fail to position themselves correctly on the sidelines.
- Radio astronomy is a young field relative to optical astronomy.
- Hooper declared at the outset of his book that optical toys could hone visual perception and, consequently, prime social vigilance.
- Not only did Leonardo study the geometry of perspective but he also studied the optical principles of the eye in his attempts to create reality as seen by the eye.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.