In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- But the image of a soggy day out walking with teachers as they struggle to decipher an upside-down ordnance survey guide is miles from the reality of orienteering as a serious sport.
- The outdoor experts offer to take them off your hands and either into the water or the woods to try out kayaking, canoeing, archery and orienteering.
- Rambling, hill walking and orienteering can allow you to enjoy healthy, effective exercise and Scotland's unique countryside simultaneously.
- The many activities on offer will include arts and crafts, basketball, boating, bowling, swimming, orienteering and soccer in addition to French language courses and computer courses.
- He is hoping to get young people involved in both the new sport and traditional orienteering, which is very much a minority sport itself with about 1000 members nationally.
- Take geocaching, a small but growing nerd sport that combines the childhood thrill of the scavenger hunt with the bushwhacking joys of orienteering.
- ‘Ski orienteering is probably one of the toughest cross-country disciplines,’ he said.
- Activities will include canoeing, indoor rock-climbing, abseiling, archery and orienteering.
- However, inspectors said schools were working hard to give children the chance to take part in a wider range of activities, such as street hockey and orienteering.
- Anyone wishing to try the exacting yet exciting sport of orienteering is invited to attend Ebor's event at the White Horse, Kilburn on Sunday, January 19.
- Scandinavia is the home of orienteering, and the British Federation knows that potential international runners must gain experience in the toughest and most technical terrain.
- They won by the considerable margin of 100 points over their nearest rival, South Yorkshire Orienteers, who for so long were the dominant force in English orienteering.
- Brgs has a long history of achievement in sport and has enjoyed recent success at national and county championship level in netball, basketball and orienteering.
- If you enjoy running or walking, if you are interested in maps and navigation, or if you like outdoor sport, then orienteering is for you.
- Queensland Orienteering Association development officer Liz Bourne says that probably more than any other sport orienteering has suffered from the loss of bushland, particularly around Brisbane.
- They both represented Ireland on the same weekend in separate orienteering competitions.
- Anyone new to orienteering can try the beginners' event at Rawcliffe Bar Country Park on Sunday between 10 am and 12.30 pm, where help and instruction will be available.
- Scandinavia remains the spiritual home of orienteering, and most of the world's best competitors still come from Sweden, Norway and Finland.
- Teams have joked that winter orienteering is a non-issue because all you need to do is follow the course-setter or leader's tracks.
- In the sport of orienteering, a competitor uses a detailed map to navigate his or her way across varied terrain following a course drawn on the map.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.