In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- It will also facilitate speech and language therapy, community welfare, orthoptics, psychology, home support services, home meals services and day care services for older people.
- Situated in a busy teaching hospital, the Academic Unit of Ophthalmology and Orthoptics provides facilities for both clinical and laboratory based research.
- A course in orthoptics takes three years of study.
- Orthoptics, which literally means "straightening of the eyes", dates back to the 1850s and is limited in scope to eye-muscle training and the cosmetic straightening of eyes.
- Orthoptists are concerned with the diagnosis and treatment of ocular motility and problems relating to vision.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.