In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- She adds, "Many students do not speak out for fear of ostracism or retribution."
- Soldiers and chaplains who tried to force religion on their comrades thus often faced ostracism.
- The teen could suffer social ostracism, and the man might risk arrest.
- He is afraid of the social ostracism that may well occur if he tells his family.
- Young people with guns do not arouse the suspicions of the state police or incur social ostracism.
- She is the subject of ridicule, innuendo, and ostracism by her peers.
- For Mike, bodybuilding was a way of dealing with hurtful childhood taunts and ostracism.
- Today such ostracism seems incomprehensible.
- The threat of ostracism makes silence a powerful weapon in the war over moral values.
- Those who resist face ostracism - or far worse.
- Typically, schools rely on some form of exclusion or ostracism to control the behavior of students.
- Ostracism is an age-old social tactic which is employed for all kinds of reasons.
- Punishment for breaching that limit can range from ostracism to court martial.
- At the same time, transgression of norms (getting pregnant) elicits punishment and ostracism from family, peers, partners, and the broader community.
- In Egypt, being black is a disadvantage which can lead to ostracism in many spheres of society.
- Kids act out in response to ridicule or ostracism.
- But his voice softens as he describes how ostracism has become a way of life.
- A Jew who married a Christian faced ostracism from family and community.
- The traditions of boycotting and general ostracism were resurrected as weapons against the police.
- For almost a hundred years ostracism fulfilled its function of aborting serious civil unrest or even civil war.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.