In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Now whenever you see that slimy snake slithering its way to the boss's cabin, one twist of the doll's arm is all that is needed - ouch!
- But that procedure runs to $11,000 or more (including hormone shots - ouch!).
- I neglected to do this for my wife, which increased her tax bill by over £1, 200 - ouch!
- But, a modern woman of 38 surely does not yearn to appear like a matronly 52… ouch!
- The minimum payment due on a recent bill was - ouch! - $350.
- Members were instrumental in helping raise funds for the project and even included a sponsored leg wax in their activities - ouch!
- Even with the addition of larger frontal pads, the ‘glasses’ still manage to drive their way into the top of my nose bridge guaranteeing me an almost instant headache - ouch!
- So, including August's rate rise, the 1.25% hike since last November means finding an extra £104 a month - ouch!
- All I can say is ouch!; it must feel like you're yanking out hundreds of hair follicles after each and every stroke.
- A slight alteration of grip ended the hammer bite problem, and this certainly won't be a problem for everyone, but it is something to be aware of - ouch!
- I had a tiff with someone very dear to me the other day, and at some point during the argument I was hit with, ‘don't analyse me, leave it to the experts’ - ouch!
- A pencil eyeliner is also effective but make sure it's of a creamy texture as there's nothing worse than pulling a hard pencil across the tender skin of the eyelid - ouch!
- Suppose I have to go through the pain before things get better but ouch!
- Here we are in this large flooring retailer - and ouch!
- I have put my hand firmly over the mouth of little devil at my shoulder who wants to say something sarca - ouch!
- You just hit one of my bruises from earlier today, ouch!
- My alarm clock went off, making me fall off the bed… ouch!
- Okay, so I studied maths, statistics and computer science at University and, to date, I've endured a sixteen-year career - sixteen years, ouch!
- Sheep in 1988 were blasted against a reflecting plate, ouch!
- The Unclaimed Assets Register estimates that we have let slip £1 billion of life policies and £3 billion of pensions - ouch!
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.