In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Though progress has been made over the past decade, it has not been fast enough for economic growth to outpace population growth.
- For 90 minutes the visitors found themselves outmuscled, outplayed and outpaced, yet twice they sneaked into the box, and twice they scored.
- In those early days she consistently outpaced her rivals including giant steamboats.
- Despite a steady rise in such loans, they are not outpacing overall credit growth and their share remains within the norm.
- One in 10 Scottish jobs are in the financial industry and it has outpaced the growth of the Scottish economy by five times over the past five years.
- The growth in the first six months of calendar year 2005 has far outpaced the rise in exports in the last calendar year.
- The rise in the November surplus came despite a 19.4% rise in imports, a rate outpacing the 16.6% growth in exports.
- Markets, as they will always do when given the chance, moved toward providing more goods at cheaper prices, and economic growth quickly began to outpace other Latin American economies.
- Imagine two galaxies fleeing from each at a faster and faster rate, finally reaching a relative speed that outpaces light.
- She made it as a fastest loser, cut adrift from the leading pack in her heat, outpaced when the turbo injection came with a kilometre to go, but in her reaction there was no vanity, no wounded pride.
- Current and capital accounts are in surplus and Asia's growth is outpacing the rest of the world, it said.
- US exporters are under pressure to find more overseas customers as domestic production growth outpaces local demand for the fibre.
- Now all that notwithstanding, the rapid one-time shift in population composition associated with the baby boom is projected to outpace increases in productivity growth.
- The heavy commercial vehicle sector grew 26 per cent in the first eight months of 1998, outpacing growth in the car market.
- He eased round the full back and outpaced the chasing defence to score underneath the posts.
- We see second quarter growth outpacing the first quarter because private consumption and investment should catch up
- Connected to each other, the destroyers could easily outpace a submarine and trap it.
- The model suggests the Cretaceous landscape was filled with large, lumbering creatures that any human with a fast car or bike or maybe even a quick sprint could outpace.
- His latest came in the Winter Beach Run at Jacksonville where he outpaced three other area runners.
- The nanowire-derived ring oscillators reached a speed of 11.7 megahertz, outpacing by a factor of roughly 10,000 the excruciatingly slow performance attained by other nanomaterial circuits.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.