In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- To a cheer from the crowd who had stood in the drizzle awaiting the Royals, the Queen, wearing deep purple, and Prince Philip, in morning suit, arrived with an escort of police outriders.
- On visits to Russia, the prince travels with police outriders and is protected by members of its secret service.
- By the time he arrived, he was accompanied by six motorcycle outriders and a posse of huge security guards.
- Police outriders escorted the procession from Lowton Civic Hall to the Royal Manchester Children's Hospital at Pendlebury.
- Six police motorcyclists drove in front of the coach, with two more outriders and a police car following on behind.
- Her chauffeur-driven Jaguar, with police outriders, swept through the gates of Kensington Palace at 2.27 pm and left at 3.14.
- The vehicles were forced back on to the motorway, where they were surrounded by police vans and motorcycle outriders on the way back to London.
- The outriders pulled in front of the trucks and made them stop.
- Traffic was halted and the residents of the normally busy Fenlands market town became almost invisible as the jury coach drove into town, surrounded by police outriders.
- The reindeer are always depicted as having antlers, so Santa's outriders must all be females.
- The outrider is the person in a mass-transport who risks capture to save the others.
- I had great admiration for the police outriders who had to maintain control of their vehicles at slow speed and under a rain of well meant missiles… they had many more miles to cover.
- Motorbike outriders and officers in high-speed cars made up the top security ‘blue light, category A’ convoy for the 200-mile journey to Belmarsh prison in London.
- At present I am trying to have the number of my police motorcycle outriders increased from two to six - as the dignity of the office deserves.
- It arrived seconds later, escorted by motorcycle outriders, and pulled up to a gentle halt.
- More than 200 people gathered outside his home on the outskirts of Bolton as a steam-powered cavalcade flanked by police motorcycle outriders escorted him on his final journey.
- Flanked by police motorcycle outriders, it will be followed by a newly-restored steam engine towing a Victorian trailer carrying Fred's coffin.
- As the cortège, pictured here, appeared, slowly progressing towards the church escorted by two police motorcycle outriders, the Marines sloped arms.
- Why were cyclists surrounding it like police outriders and gesticulating at its worried-looking occupants?
- The traffic is stopped by a police outrider; another police bike shepherds through the Prime Minister's Rover, coming east down Constitution Hill.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.