In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(excellent)(ability/beauty) extraordinario(beauty/ability) excepcional(performer/achievement) destacadoa young composer of outstanding talent — un joven compositor de excepcional / singular talento
- what did you think of it? — outstanding! — ¿qué tal te pareció? — ¡excepcional!
- Nepal is also, of course, a country of outstanding natural beauty.
- Comparing today's outstanding performers with those of yesteryear is always a provocative exercise.
- With manic energy and a knack for voices, Bennett's performance is outstanding.
- To achieve this he is putting in place a bonus plan for the top 300 executives that will reward outstanding performance.
- We should reduce air pollution and protect our areas of outstanding natural beauty against visual pollution.
- The truly outstanding athlete always fights his way to the top, no matter what the odds.
- Her outstanding performance last weekend earned her this week's UW athlete of the week.
- Their comment on the play was that it was an outstanding performance.
- Castletown has again produced an outstanding performance in the competition.
- He was their truly outstanding player both defensively and in attack.
- The statement said the ship's visit to America would be an outstanding success.
- The Kettering Prize recognizes the most outstanding recent contribution to the diagnosis or treatment of cancer.
- The current graduates had many outstanding performances by women.
- It was a marvellous sporting moment following an outstanding performance.
- He has been outstanding in central defence so far this season.
- The Lake District National Park is an area of outstanding natural beauty that is protected for the benefit of the nation as a whole.
- The award celebrates outstanding achievement made by students to their secondary schools and communities.
- I understood this land was an area of outstanding natural beauty.
- The Sloan Prize honors the most outstanding recent basic science contribution to cancer research.
- There is an area of outstanding natural beauty right on the doorstep and it is blocked off because of the dangerous stepping stones.
- Lewis-Francis is the most obvious and outstanding product of his time.
- Even allowing for this, he remains the outstanding figure of early English history.
2.1(unpaid)(account/debt) pendiente (de pago)the amount outstanding is $105 — la deuda pendiente es de 105 dólares
- The group members plan to take a holiday in the sun, clear off a few outstanding bills and invest whatever is left.
- He alleges there is no reason for a liquidator to take control over his outstanding debts because he is capable of paying it.
- And when you're reviewing your life insurance, remember to take into account any loans outstanding on your business.
- The government said it managed to reclaim about half of the outstanding debts without legal action.
- If it is discovered that there is an outstanding debt from either of the two companies the sum will be pursued.
- They saw their only task as being to determine whether or not the amount of the assessment remained outstanding.
- And if you have old debts, pay them up, until you are free of outstanding financial debts.
- She is entitled to be paid the full balance outstanding on her mortgage.
- Fewer than 20 percent of participants had loans outstanding at the end of that year.
- It had no bank debt outstanding when the deal was signed late last week.
- He went to collect a long outstanding debt before returning to England for good.
- The bank has a counterclaim against Mrs Frost for the sums still outstanding.
- In most cases a judge will attempt to help both the borrower and the lender reach an agreement about how the outstanding debt can best be discharged.
- The only circumstances in which they could call in all outstanding debts would be in the event of their own disbandment.
- By deciding to pay off only the interest, the repayments are much lower but the principal remains outstanding.
- From November 1996 on, a balance remained outstanding on his account.
- He was unable to provide a final bill as a number of claims remain outstanding.
- A significant amendment to the interest provision is that any interest now calculated may not exceed the capital amount outstanding.
- I own my home with a small amount outstanding on the mortgage.
- This time, the hospital insisted he pay the bill in advance, together with the outstanding debt.
2.2(remaining)(problem/request) pendiente(problem/request) por resolver
2.3USoutstanding stock / shares — acciones en circulación femenino
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.