In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- One man enters the male-only space to escape a conflicted marriage with his overbearing, combative wife.
- This is a small, proud country existing in the shadow of a large, overbearing neighbour.
- Heavy, overbearing guitars clash with feeble pianos, annoying violins, and misplaced horns.
- The waiters, by the way, were exceptionally helpful without being overbearing, and really seemed to know what to advise.
- You can also meet excessively overbearing golfers who want to solve everything with an arrogant order.
- When you have an inbred arrogance, you are undoubtedly going to appear overbearing and rude.
- My parents aren't the snoopy, overbearing kind that stop by to check on your laundry technique.
- Our disciple goes from pompous to positively overbearing.
- Wilhemina is a rising surgeon who begrudgingly meets and greets inept blind dates to appease her overbearing mother.
- But like many young talents, he fell victim to an overbearing and ambitious parent, intent on living through his son.
- It promotes a large, bureaucratic, overbearing government state which is protected from free market competition.
- Such a dangerous, overbearing contraption can no longer be relied upon to deliver the social contracts with its citizens that it once did.
- Did they have an overbearing father to live up to?
- Besides, with my hideous deformity and your overbearing mother, we'd only be punishing ourselves.
- A new survey has revealed that overbearing mothers-in-law are to blame for as many as one in five marriage breakdowns.
- The letters show a devoted if overbearing husband who constantly chides his wife to write more often and to keep up her spirits.
- I was wearing a festive but not overbearing reddish shirt and Keith was decked out in some sleek black duds.
- It claimed that an overbearing and threatening management style was leading to staff stress, inefficiency and ill-health.
- The dictionary definition of arrogance suggests overbearing behavior based on inappropriate views.
- At all levels, cunning teachers allied with overbearing students.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.