In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1the book is a month overdue — el plazo de devolución del libro venció hace un mes
- payment is now overdue — el plazo ha vencido y se requiere pago inmediato
- such measures are long overdue — tales medidas deberían haberse adoptado mucho antes
- the flight is six hours overdue — el vuelo debería haber llegado hace seis horas / lleva seis horas de retraso
- she's a week overdue — debería haber dado a luz hace una semana
- to be overdue for sth
- you're overdue for promotion — hace tiempo que te deberían haber ascendido
- This is a reform that is well overdue.
- The Legislature has been considering an overdue pay raise for judges all year.
- The time is overdue for public outrage at the crimes being committed in the name of criminal justice.
- That mediocre, built-on-the-cheap excuse for a bypass is overdue for an upgrade.
- It had been almost 10 years, so Barry was overdue for a visit.
- Restructuring or increased regulation of the industry might be overdue.
- Many critics are saying troop withdrawal is already overdue.
- Okay, that wage increase for home health workers was overdue.
- These studies are overdue and of importance to our discipline if we are to be able to understand the significance and the role such awards play in our cultural development.
- "Creating a network specifically for the LGBT community is something we've wanted to do for a long, long time, and it's an idea we feel is overdue," says the network's chairman.
- Baillie's recent return to the form he showed in his youth is overdue.
- Back over a more suitable distance tomorrow, he can gain an overdue success in the hands of Tom Greenall.
- Change is overdue to the framework within which the international community approaches Burma.
- Despite the financial uncertainty at the club, a contract offer seems overdue.
- The three rest camps in Etosha are overdue for basic maintenance.
- The nuclear family paradigm is well overdue for an overhaul.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.