In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1to overlay sth with sth — recubrir algo de algo
- the wood is overlaid with silver — la madera está recubierta de plata
- words overlaid with emotive associations — palabras cargadas de connotaciones emotivas
- The plates were then overlaid with an alkaline phosphatase assay solution.
- Consequently, the difficult circumstances of their current situation are at least partially overlaid by a larger faith in the dignity of labor, the power of collective action, and the ultimate triumph of the working class.
- The rest is overlaid by gradations of watered blue that have soaked into the canvas and recall stylized waves and clouds.
- Any of us can become terrified at any moment if fear overlays us.
- Football retained tenacious local loyalties, overlaid by denominational and social rivalries, mediated by the search for success and corresponding reward.
- These labels were overlaid with a sheet of self adhesive clear plastic film from a high street stationer and distributed to the house staff.
- The entire deck is overlaid with a 50 mm thick layer of asphaltic concrete.
- To achieve the texture she desired in her pastels she used a type of paper overlaid with pumice or sand in the 1920s.
- In the rest of the house all parts were overlaid with gold and adorned with gems and mother-of-pearl.
- These areas are then overlaid with a curious but beautiful, whitish veil-like layer, as if to remind us that her scenes are fictive.
- And then overlaying all of that, is the security concern.
- In the heavier thicknesses first overlay or butter the steel with the same filler metal and then weld the overlayed surface to the copper.
- In several examples, the base metal is overlaid with silver, and many of the inlays are gold or silver.
- The unidentified base metals are overlaid with silver.
- Early detection of Addison's disease is not easy: non-specific symptoms and fatigue may be overlaid by signs of depression (as is also the case with hypothyroidism).
- It's as though their scales are overlaid with black lace.
1(covering, layer)revestimiento masculinoan overlay of cynicism — una capa de cinismo
- With a new concrete overlay, however, the mile-long, two-lane pavement was placed in 20 calendar days.
- Lace is very popular on its own or as trimming - expect to see it worn during the day and used as an overlay for evening dresses.
- A second overlay or layer is recommended on thicker materials.
- The company's warehouse floor serves as a testing ground for new finishes, overlays, and polishing techniques.
- Watch how the pros produce stunning decorative overlays from start to finish, including surface preparation, pre-overlay repair, placing, and finishing.
- Trim the sheer overlay even with fashion fabric all around.
- The road-cuts there expose a deep overlay of sandy soil, very different from the black topsoil elsewhere in Iowa.
- Films, coatings, and overlays generally become less cost effective as production quantities increase, especially when the entire surface of work pieces must be hardened.
- The literature says to space joints in feet the same as the thickness of the overlay in inches, but we wanted to try something different.
- The dust jacket comes in two parts, a paper jacket and a transparent overlay.
- More often, overlays are used by centers that did not maintain lanes properly in the past.
- When shown a black number seven, these people begin to interpret it as a seven and see a yellow-coloured overlay on the digit even though they know the number is in black.
- Stardek floor and wall overlay forms a strong, long-lasting bond with concrete and a range of other building materials.
- The liveliest of these were his watercolors, which imposed a certain delicacy of touch to his reliance on overlays of transparent washes to create complicated tonal weathers.
- Some distant street lights are casting patches of yellow criss-crossing branches as an overlay on the swirling flat ice surface.
- In general, the concrete overlays appear to be effective in decreasing the rate of concrete deterioration.
- Some control surfaces get around the label problem with plastic overlays.
- The bride looked radiant in an ivory gown of duchess satin, consisting of a bodice top with an overlay of embroidered lace and buttoning detail on the back.
- It occurs to me that one of the reasons the fake overlays work is that real ATMs these days are often so shoddily designed that they already look fake.
- This means they are not guaranteeing that the trim, the dress, the overlay, the lining, etc. or any part thereof will withstand soaking in water.
2(on map, diagram)lámina superpuesta femeninotransparencia superpuesta femenino
- The third overlay depicts information available on finances, business transactions, assets, and related issues.
- Analysts may create additional overlays as needed.
- Other diagrams are presented as overlays onto photographed images.
- Transparent overlays of green designated the bands that the Harrisons propose to return to nature.
- This was done by making an exact one-sixth scale photographic reproduction of the painting and tracing the principal lines of the composition onto a clear transparent overlay.
- The old drawing would simply have an overlay put over it illustrating the new detail.
- The semi-transparent overlay sheet can easily be folded back for placing photos or illustrations underneath for the purpose of tracing those images into your favorite editor.
- Moreover, there were no paper maps or graphical overlays.
- Selected reconnaissance areas are usually presented on a map overlay.
- The age of the map hoard with its acetate overlays and alcohol pens should be over.
- Use tracing paper overlays and a soft pencil to sketch new landscape ideas and plans over your base map.
- The structure of the painting reveals itself as do those anatomical diagrams with transparent overlays illustrating the separate skeletal, circulatory, pulmonary and muscular systems.
- The two floorplans shown in the Appendix were photocopied onto acetate sheets that were used as overlays to classify the location of each unusual experience.
- Later an expansion was released that included a map overlay and two additional sets of player pieces.
- Circle the corresponding number on the reader service card for more information about stampable vertical overlays.
- Soon the Army began innovation, turning to transparent overlays instead of blocks so that a permanent record of each move could be made.
- New code was added to Maya to remove the requirement for hardware overlay in order to provide compatibility even with nonaccelerated drivers.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.