In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(grief) inconsolable(urge) irresistible(anger) incontenible(boredom) insoportable(defeat) aplastante(majority) abrumadorthe sight was quite overwhelming — el panorama era sobrecogedor
- an overwhelming 80% voted against — un abrumador 80% votó en contra
- An unpleasant emotional and physical state of overwhelming apprehension and fear. anxiety disorders.
- Maggie, who had been feeling an emotion of overwhelming wonder, now felt panic rise in her throat because of the man was coming into the building.
- The support and security systems of the welfare state included the overwhelming majority of the citizens.
- His hidden eyes bored into the young man's head and that overwhelming terror gripped him again.
- That makes for an overwhelming amount of sleep deprivation!
- But that fear was drowned out by the overwhelming emotions that filled her: awe and wonder, expectation and joy.
- There's enormous and overwhelming support for her at this time.
- I have an overwhelming amount of useless trivia stored in my head… Which explains how I can remember so many movies quotes and such.
- If not properly maintained, water may develop excess nutrients, creating an overwhelming amount of algae, sludge, foul odors and a poor impression.
- Feelings of overwhelming sadness or fear, or the inability to feel emotion are common in such people.
- In the past few weeks there has been an overwhelming amount of information and, in turn, misinformation clouding the headlines.
- The overwhelming majority of people in Ireland fully support this process.
- An overwhelming sadness began to grip her heart.
- My overwhelming emotion was nostalgia, oddly enough; nostalgia for the peculiar cultural nexus that this movie represented.
- There is overwhelming evidence supporting the Bubble thesis.
- Along with their overwhelming fear comes a very strong and rigid denial system that is hard to break down.
- Maybe the water could help wash away the overwhelming emotions she was feeling and help her think clearly.
- They reveal that grief, fear and shock were often the overwhelming emotions.
- Even though I've been looking after the house, our daughter and a few chores, the last week gripped me with an overwhelming feeling of uselessness.
- Due to the overwhelming amount of attention her parents, and countless others, still paid her, she didn't really value this highly.
- But in reality there's an overwhelming amount of evidence that proves otherwise.
- Second, the government must unite behind this policy, which is supported by the overwhelming majority of the nation.
- One recent poll suggests an overwhelming majority of the public supports the ban, but congressional leaders say they have no plan to bring it up for renewal.
- Due to the overwhelming amount of strategic and tactical ideas in chess, students of the game buy dozens of chess books but still find it impossible to isolate the key points.
- These are the things I remember, the times of overwhelming emotion.
- He is getting an overwhelming amount of money by way of the pension; furthermore, this pension is tax free for this financial year.
- Rumi practiced sama by dancing spontaneously, whirling and spinning to express his overwhelming love for God and his intense desire to merge with God.
- The strings arrangement gives me a feeling of overwhelming grief, tempered with dignity.
- It commands an overwhelming majority of support in the media, the arts, the universities and the public service.
- He doodled mindlessly, trying to get a grasp on the overwhelming emotions he was feeling.
- Sit in breathless anticipation, gripped by its overwhelming excitement.
- Brigg's voice began to crack with emotions, mixed feelings of lingering sorrow and overwhelming anger and confusion.
- I stood motionless and my tears started flow, because I felt no fear at all, just an overwhelming feeling of disbelief, and then admiration and love.
- She also wants to use the opportunity to pay tribute to the people in Swindon who have shown her family an overwhelming amount of support since his death.
- A superintendent told the court that no body or weapon had been found, but that there was an overwhelming amount of circumstantial evidence.
- They must overcome this conditioning in the face of the overwhelming evidence now supporting their use, write two American cardiologists.
- The emotion he felt as he watched the game was of overwhelming relief.
- Polls indicate an overwhelming majority of Americans support it.
- The overwhelming majority of voters supported their calls for reform and the end of scandalous political behavior.
- But his overwhelming emotion was relief rather than disappointment.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.