In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1propiedad femeninothe company is in private/state ownership — la compañía es de propiedad privada/estatal
- on his death, ownership passes to the children — a su muerte, la propiedad pasa a los hijos
- under their ownership, the business thrived — en sus manos, el negocio prosperó
- his ownership of the newspaper gives him … — el hecho de ser propietario del periódico le da …
- Only a few months ago, he was questioning the ownership of the land and trying to stall the plans.
- Planning is concerned with the use of and operations on land, not its ownership.
- Whenever press ownerships have been allowed into commercial television ownership, the situation has been favourable to the emergence of media moguls.
- Mere use without possession is not sufficient, nor is ownership without possession.
- It was also clear to me that neither could readily grasp the concept of a nominee ownership.
- In an economy based on agriculture, the ownership of land is the key to survival and power.
- Car ownership is rising and will not be reversed, either in the UK or further afield.
- The ownership of the freehold land at both Baydon Farm and Park Farm is complex.
- Full ownership of the car is yours from day one, with the proviso that you keep up repayments.
- The second was a campaign to develop local industry in the ownership of the collectives.
- The ownership of the vehicle was not transferred to them until they accepted the agreement.
- It was to provide metropolitan Green Belt land through direct ownership and control.
- Erratic though its incidence is, the liability is a tax upon the ownership of land.
- In fact there may be specific controls on the foreign ownership of banks.
- Now the ownership of the land is in limbo, with no one willing to take responsibility for the tip.
- It remained in his ownership until his death, and then passed to a foundation.
- In certain cases the true ownership of a cheque may be determined only by reference to agency principles.
- The ownership of land, as opposed to personal property, is subject to particular rules.
- The ownership of the animals specified in the charges was transferred to the respondents.
- Property relations should be reformed to give greater security to the ownership of land.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.