In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Nitrates are formed from reacting nitric acid with metal oxides, hydroxides, or carbonates.
- It would set new caps for nitrogen oxides, sulfur dioxide, and mercury.
- Power plants will be expected to reduce emissions of mercury, sulfur dioxide, and nitrogen oxides.
- Exhaust from the automobile can contain carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxides, which are poisonous gases.
- The gases, particularly sulphur dioxide and oxides of nitrogen, then dissolve in water vapour in the air.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.